At Honour Health, we believe that dental implants are the gold-standard replacements for missing or failing teeth. When an implant is in position, it looks indistinguishable from your existing teeth and is completely comfortable.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are metal posts that are carefully positioned into the jawbone beneath your gums. Once in place, they allow your dentist to mount replacement teeth onto them. The implant, which is made from titanium or titanium alloy, integrates with the surrounding bone and can be used to attach crowns, bridges or dentures.
Are dental implants safe?
Dental implants are a safe and well-established treatment, and will last as long as you care for them, just like natural teeth. Our dental implant patients see us for regular maintenance appointments, helping to prolong the life expectancy of their dental implants, and we show them how to keep their dental implants clean with flossing and tooth brushing techniques.
What are the benefits of choosing dental implants?
- Dental implants are the closest replacement to natural, healthy teeth. A strong and stable dental implant restores a lost tooth so that it looks, feels and fits functions just like a natural tooth.
- They allow you to eat and drink anything, unlike dentures.
- Implants last longer than any other dental replacement. Traditional tooth-supported bridges may only last five to seven years on average, with the need to be replaced. Dental implants may need adjustment, but can last for life with the proper care.
- Tooth loss can cause changes in the facial structure, causing premature aging and sagging of the face. Dental implants help you to maintain the natural shape of their face.
- Many patients cannot use removable dentures, despite the dentist making the best fit they can. Dentures may be uncomfortable and difficult to wear, unlike a dental implant.
- Placing a dental implant helps to maintain healthy bone. Leaving empty spaces in the mouth after tooth loss can cause bone deterioration and increased bone loss. Dental implants are the only dental restoration that preserve and stimulate natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- Dental implants don’t affect or alter speech, like dentures do.
- Dental implants do not require modification of other teeth in the mouth like bridgework does. This helps to maintain healthy natural dentition.
How long does the treatment take?
The first appointment will be a free consultation to discuss your requirements and whether, in our opinion, dental implants are the best treatment option. If they are, we will provide a written treatment plan setting out a fee estimate, the number of appointments required, and the treatment to be carried out at each appointment. The treatment time will depend on the number of implants required.
If you would like to go ahead with the treatment, we will take a 3D image to establish if there is sufficient bone to place the implant. This imaging system allows implant placement to be more accurate and successful We will also take photographs, X-rays, and have models made of your teeth and jaws.
The implants are usually fitted in one appointment, under local anaesthetic. If you wish to be sedated, and are suitable, then this can be arranged. You will visit us for a sedation assessment the day before your treatment, and we will provide information about what to expect when having sedation.
Completion of treatment
After the implants are placed, they are left to settle in place for 3-6 months. The final fitting of crowns or bridges or the attaching of dentures to the implants takes 1-2 months. Success depends on the your body’s reaction to implants and how well you look after them.
What is the cost of a dental implant?
The fee for a dental implant will depend on your individual treatment plan, which we provide at your free consultation. If you join our Honour Health Club, you can claim a 10% discount for dental implant treatment.
Interest free credit is also available. For further information about how dental implants could transform your smile, please book a free consultation at your chosen practice.